Every Tuesday and Thursday from May till October
From Agia Pelagia, Ammoudara, Analipsi, Anissaras, Chersonissos, Fodele, Gournes, Gouves, Heraklion city center, Karteros, Kokkini Hani, Malia, Stalis, every Tuesday and Thursday
From Sisi every Thursday
Duration 17 hours / Stay in Samaria 6-7 hours and 16 km of hiking / Stay on boat 1 hour
Come with us to explore Samaria Gorge. This excursion is one of the longest but also one of the most beautiful.
Our adventure starts very early in the morning and our first stop is in Skaleta for breakfast.
Then we move to Omalos Plateau. There the walk starts from Xiloskalo, where we enter this vast canyon of 18 km.
We usually need 6-7 hours to cross the gorge. The path follows the route of the ancient river Taras. On the way, we can see the caves that formed a natural shelter for the Cretans in war times and now they are natural habitat of the well-known wild goats or kri-kri. Halfway we come across the village of Santa Maria, which is currently abandoned. Three kilometers prior to our exiting this gorge, we reach the Iron Gates (Sideroportes), the narrowest spot of the route, just a few meters wide but 300 meters high.
A bit later, we arrive in the small fishing village of Agia Roumeli, where we have quite a long time to lunch and to get a refreshing swim before boarding the ship that leads us back along the coast to Sfakia. There our coaches wait for us to get us back to hotels.
||Stop in Skaleta for breakfast & WC
||Departure from Skaleta
||Omalos Plateau, 15 min. preparation and beginning of hiking
||Boat’s departure from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia
||Arrival at Sfakia and boarding on coaches
||Stop in Skaleta for snack & WC
The timing of the program will be approximate, depending on traffic and weather conditions as well as the unexpected overcrowding.
✅ Pick-up & Drop-off service (mainly from hotels at Agia Pelagia, Ammoudara, Analipsi, Anissaras, Chersonissos, Fodele, Gournes, Gouves, Heraklion city center, Karteros, Kokkini Hani, Malia, Sisi, Stalis is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point)
✅ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✅ Hiking Escort
❌ Boat ticket from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia (12€ per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Entrance fee to the gorge (5€ per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Personal expenses
For cancellation up to 2 days prior to arrival no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to arrival 100% cancellation fees
Non-show 100% cancellation fees
- The trip is not recommended for any person with a history of knee problems, high blood pressure, cardiac and pulmonary problems, for pregnant women and for anybody who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights!
- Due to the difficulty of the hiking tour, bookings with young children until 14 years old will not be accepted.
- For bookings 2 days before departure please contact us in order to check availability!
- Please provide fullname, telephone number (country code included), e-mail and accommodation details (hotel name & address) upon booking.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
Upon booking you will receive from us in a separate mail your activity’s voucher with specific pick-up details (please check your spam folder as well)
For clarifications please send us a mail at email@example.com or contact us at +30 2810 335 227
We are at your disposal from Monday to Friday 09:00 am till 20:00 pm and Saturday 09:00 till 15:00 pm