Kefalonia Highlights Tour
Duration: Full Day
Guests will be picked up from their resorts to connect with the boat from the port.
St George’s castle was the capital of Kefalonia until the end of the 17th Century. The Byzantines started the work in the 12th Century but it was the Venetians who gave the castle its present day look. It is this dunce’s-cap of a hill which gave the castle an almost impregnable position. St George’s castle was to remain the capital of Kefalonia right up until the Napoleonic wars. Rumour has it that there were even tunnels that once connected the castle to Argostoli some 5km away. These, of course, collapsed in the 1953 earthquake!
First stop will be the monastery of St. Gerassimos, the patron of the Island. St Gerassimos was known for his miraculous abilities to cure people with mental illness. The monastery is considered one of the most sacred pilgrimages in Kefalonia and is situated under the imposing Mount Ainos. Today the monasteryhas been reconstructed and it is an imposing building with a newly built church. Next you head to the impressive Drogarati Cave, located outside of Sami, with its fine stalactites & stalagmites. Experts estimate that the cave is about 150 million years old. A natural balcony was created in 1953 from the earthquake, overlooking a chamber with about 100 square meters of floor, making it possible to hold concerts for up to 500 people. (30 min stop).
Continuing on to Melissani Lake and Cave. Explore by boat, the cave stalactites, which are over 20,000 years old. Following a roof cave-in, an impressive sight has been created causing the colors of the water to be reflected onto the walls of the cave. Important archaeological finds were also discovered on the lake’s sandbank, one of them is a figurine of the nymph Melissanthe after whom the cave is named, and another is a clay figurine of the God Pan. (30/40 min stop). Lunch will be at the town of Aghia Efimia – before the 1953 earthquake it was one of the island’s important trade centres, with stately homes, these were rebuilt with help from the French. Today it’s a wonderful town with a small harbour. You will have time here for lunch, a stroll or there’s a small beach if you would like to swim. After lunch, we drive towards Myrtos Bay, one of Kefalonia’s famous beaches, for a photo-stop.
Finally a visit to Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia, here you can take refreshments, relax in the square, or have a walk and explore before reboarding the coach to start your journey back to the port. The boat departs at 17.30 and arrives back in Zakynthos at approx 19.00. You will then be transferred back to your resort.
✅ Round trip boat tickets
✅ Pick-up and drop-off from/to your hotel (If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest available pick up point)
✅ Tour escort
❌ Personal expenses
❌ Meals & Drinks
❌ Entrance fees Drogarati Cave (4.00 euro per person – paid on the spot in cash) & Melissani Lake (6.00 euro per person – paid on the spot in cash)
Remember to bring ‼️ Sun Cream (a lot!), Sunglasses and Hat, Long-Sleeved Shirt for Sensitive skin, Swim Suit and a Beach Towel, Comfortable Shoes, Camera for photos!
⛔ Cancellation Policy
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
⚠️ Important Notes
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
Covid – 19 measures applicable for Season 2021:
- Mandatory use of face covering and pre-boarding health declaration questionnaire is required, filled by all the participants. Please download it here and have it filled before boarding on bus. Failure to abide by this measure is subject to fines by local authorities.
- Checking body temperature is implemented to all passengers upon their check-in. In cases of fever over 37.8 οC embarkation is not allowed.
Upon reservation, our partners will contact you in order to receive your Voucher which includes your pick-up point and time info. Please be aware that you will have to bring the Voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us.
Kefalonia Highlights Tour
Why to choose this package!
- Tour a traditional olive factory
- Drive through idyllic mountain villages in the north of the island
- Take a boat trip to caves (optional with an extra charge per person for this trip)
- Visit the 15th century monastery of St Dennis, the Patron Saint of the island