Every Monday & Tuesday from May till October
Duration 15 hours approximately
If you are tired of walking but want photos for you Insta-followers, If you do not feel like walking today but want to admire the terrific natural environment, If you want to live a superior experience without getting tired, then this excursion is made for you! We will arrive around 7 o’clock in the morning and after a breakfast you will have the chance to photo-shoot the entrance of Samaria Gorge and admire the creation of the nature. The hiking escort will give you all necessary instructions and then he will enter the gorge with the rest of the group (you will meet again at Agia
Roumeli). The driver will take you to the small village of Sougia where you embark on the boat to reach the village of Agia Roumeli which is the exit of the gorge of Samaria.
You can walk until the exit of the gorge, to the “Iron Gates” or swim and have a lunch there until you meet with the rest of the group.
Samaria Gorge – Facts
The Samaria Gorge is the biggest, most imposing and beautiful gorge in Greece and 2nd in Europe, and that is why it is internationally renown and mostly visited, since more than 300.000 people cross it each year. It has a wonderful landscape with rare geo-morphological formations. It is a unique biotope with particular richness in fauna and flora. It has a rich mythology as well, that goes back to prehistorical years and a tumultuous history during the difficult years of Crete. Samaria Gorge was proclaimed National Park of the White Mountains of Crete in 1962 when a couple of local families were still living in the village of Samaria, in the middle of the gorge and who were mainly busy with cattle-breeding and woodcutting. The surface covered at the time was 48.500 sqm., whereas the expansion of the Park today at 250.000 sqm. includes a remarkable part of the White Mountains.
The main fauna species is the world-famous Cretan Chamois (wild goat – CAPRA AEGAGRUS CRETICA), an extremely beautiful and dashing animal that has been preserved, is now living freely in the gorge of Samaria and in the three gorges parallel to it. There is a total of 450 species of Cretan flora in the gorge, of which 70 are endemic, i.e. they grow in the gorge only. Among the well known flora species, you find the perennial gigantic cypresses once used in shipbuilding and in the construction of the pillars of the Palace of Knossos by the Minoan Civilization.
Please note: the hiking escort will be with you until Omalos Plateau. You will meet again at Agia Roumeli with the rest of the Samaria Gorge group.
05:20-06:10: Pick up
07:30: Short stop at Omalos (1.200 m) – free time for breakfast and to take some pictures
08:00: Departure from Omalos to Sougia
09:00: Departure from Sougia to Agia Roumeli by boat
10:00: Arrival at Agia Roumeli / walk into the gorge up to the Iron Gates (optional with fee – not included) / Free time to eat & drink and to swim.
16:30: Meet your guide at Agia Roumeli and get the ferry-boat tickets to Sougia.
17:00-17:30: Departure from Agia Roumeli to Sougia
18:30; Arrival to Sougia
20:00 – 20:30: Arrival at your Hotel
✅ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Kolimbari, Tavronitis, Maleme, Gerani, Platanias, Agia Marina, Stalos, Kalamaki, Agioi Apostoloi, Halepa, Chania Town is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point).
✅ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✅ Hiking Escort
✅ Full liability Insurance
❌Pick-up from Kalyves area requires a minimum number of 4 adults with an extra charge of +10€ per person
❌ Entrance fee to the Gorge ( 5€ per person) – Paid on the bus in cash // EU citizens until 17 years old don’t pay entrance fee
❌ Boat fare from Agia Roumeli to Sougia (13€ per person) – Paid on the bus in cash
❌ Food – Drinks – Personal expenses
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
- For bookings up to 2 days prior to departure please contact us in order to check for availability.
- Please provide fullname, telephone number (country code included), e-mail and accommodation details (hotel name & address) upon booking.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- The following are prohibited inside the gorge: radios, singing, excessive noise, disposal of rubbish in places other than those provided, smoking anywhere other than the rest points, consumption of alcohol.
- In our office, Aretousas 38 street, Heraklion, Crete
- Directly upon booking from our webiste with your debit/credit card
- Payment link sent by us with your debit/credit card easily and safely
Payment of reservations up to 2 days before the tour.
Upon reservation you will receive from us in a separate e-mail your voucher with specific pick-up information (please check your spam folder as well). Please be aware that you will have to bring the voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us from Monday to Friday 09:00 am to 20:00 pm and Saturday from 09:00 am to 15:00 pm.
Book now through our website or contact us for more information at 0030 2810 335227 or send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why to choose this package!
- Photo-shoot the 2nd Largest Gorge in Europe (16km)
- See the famous endangered Cretan Goat ''Kri-Kri''
- Swim in the Refreshing Cool Waters of Agia Roumeli
- Enjoy various Cretan dishes at local taverns