Hiking at Samaria gorge – Departure from Chania
May, June, October: every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
July, August, September: daily
Duration Full Day – 14 hours approximately
Arrival at Xyloskalo, Samaria Gorge
No holiday in Crete is complete without a trip through the 2nd longest gorge in Europe, the Gorge of Samaria. It is the longest and most imposing ravine in the Mediterranean. It is 16.5 kilometers in length from the position of Xyloskalo and terminates at Agia Roumeli in the Libyan Sea. We will arrive around 7 o’clock in the morning and after a short break you will start walking. Descending the 600 wooden steps you will be intrigued by the beauty and serenity of this massive gorge which is shadowed by the White Mountains. You will come across the church of St. Nicolas, built on the ruins of an ancient temple. Afterwards you will reach “Portes” or “Iron Gates”, the narrowest pass of the gorge. The hike ends at Agia Roumeli.
05:20‐06:10: Pick up
07:30: First stop Omalos Plateau.
08:00: Begin hike Xyloskalo (1.200 m)
14:00: End hike at Agia Roumeli Village (it depends on how fast you walk). Free time to eat, drink and to swim.
16:30: Meet your guide at Agia Roumeli and get the ferry-boat tickets to Sougia.
17:00-17:30: Departure from Agia Roumeli to Sougia
18:30; Arrival to Sougia
20:00‐20:30: Arrival at your Hotel
The trip is not recommended for any person with a history of knee problems, high blood pressure, cardiac and pulmonary problems, for pregnant women and for anybody who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights. If still interested, please check our Samaria Easy Way
✔️ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Kolimbari, Tavronitis, Maleme, Gerani, Platanias, Agia Marina, Stalos, Kalamaki, Agioi Apostoloi, Halepa, Chania Town, Kalyves is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point. In case you don’t know the closest pickup point, please contact us).
✔️ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✔️ Hiking Escort
✔️ Full liability Insurance
❌ Food – Drinks – Personal expenses
❌ Entrance fee to the Gorge ( 5.00€ per person)- Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Boat fare from Agia Roumeli to Sougia (10.00€ per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
Remember to bring ‼️ Sun Cream (a lot!), Sunglasses and Hat, Long-Sleeved Shirt for Sensitive skin, A light jumper for the morning, Good hiking shoes, Bottle of water and Light Snacks (fruits etc.), Swim Suit and a Beach Towel.
⛔ Cancellation Policy
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
⚠️ Important Notes
- Drink plenty of water (you can refill your bottle from springs inside the gorge).
- Go slow in the first 2km of the walk & avoid stopping for a rest just below high cliffs
- Avoid resting for more than 15 minutes (especially if you are not used to this sort of walk) because your muscles will start to stiffen up and you will find it pretty hard to get going again.
- Whilst in the village of Samaria take a quiet walk around it, you will probably catch a glimpse of the kri‐kri’s. The young ones get used to seeing people every day and are not that shy.
- Always look where you are heading. When you want to look around, make sure you don’t block the path and then look
- Half way down the gorge lies the old village of Samaria. The village of Samaria has a telephone for communication with the police, a pharmacy, and two mules to transport injured people.
- Pick-up from Kalyves area requires a minimum number of 4 adults with an extra charge of 6.00€ per person.
- The following are prohibited inside the gorge: radios, singing, excessive noise, disposal of rubbish in places other than those provided, smoking anywhere other than the rest points, consumption of alcohol.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
Covid – 19 measures applicable for Season 2021:
Mandatory use of face covering and pre-boarding health declaration questionnaire is required, filled by all the participants. Please download it here and have it filled before boarding on bus. Failure to abide by this measure is subject to fines by local authorities.
Upon reservation, our partners will contact you in order to receive your Voucher which includes your pick-up point and time info. Please be aware that you will have to bring the Voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us.
Hiking at Samaria Gorge – Departure from Chania
Why to choose this package!
- Hike the 2nd Longest Gorge in Europe (16km)
- Excellent for Hiking lovers
- See the famous endangered Cretan Goat ''Kri-Kri''
- Swim in the refreshing cool waters of Agia Roumeli at the exit of the Gorge