Every Tuesday and Thursday from May till October
From Agia Pelagia, Ammoudara, Analipsi, Anissaras, Chersonissos, Gouves, Heraklion city center, Kokkini Hani, Malia every Tuesday and Thursday
From Sisi every Tuesday
Duration 15 hours / Stay in Samaria 6-7 hours and 16 km of hiking / Stay on boat 1 hour
An experience not to be missed!
Come with us to explore Samaria Gorge. This excursion is one of the longest but also one of the most beautiful.
Our adventure starts very early in the morning and our first stop is in Skaleta for breakfast.Then we move to Omalos Plateau. There the walk starts from Xiloskalo, where we enter this vast canyon of 16 km.
We usually need 6-7 hours to cross the gorge. The path follows the route of the ancient river Taras. On the way, we can see the caves that formed a natural shelter for the Cretans in war times and now they are natural habitat of the well-known wild goats or kri-kri. Halfway we come across the village of Santa Maria, which is currently abandoned. Three kilometers prior to our exiting this gorge, we reach the Iron Gates (Sideroportes), the narrowest spot of the route, just a few meters wide but 300 meters high.
A bit later we arrive in the small fishing village of Agia Roumeli, where we have quite a long time to lunch and to get a refreshing swim before boarding the slip that leads us back along the coast to Sfakia. There our coaches wait us to get us back to hotels.
07:00 Stop in Skaleta for breakfast
07:20 Departure from Skaleta
10:00 Omalos Plateau, 15 min. preparation and beginning of hiking
10:30 Gorge Entrance
17:45 Boat’s departure from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia
18:45 Arrival at Sfakia and boarding on coaches
20:30 Stop in Skaleta for snack
21:30 Arrival at Heraklion
The timing of the program will be approximate, depending on traffic and weather conditions
✅ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Heraklion city center, Amoudara, Malia, Hersonissos, Anissaras, Analipsi, Gouves, Kokkini Hani, Agia Pelagia, Sisi is provided). If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point.
✅ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✅ Hiking Escort
❌ Entrance fee to Samaria Gorge (5 euro per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Boat ticket from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia (12 euro per person 6 euro per child) – Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Personal expenses
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
- For bookings up to 2 days prior to departure please contact us in order to check for availability.
- Please provide fullname, telephone number (country code included), e-mail and accommodation details (hotel name & address) upon booking.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- The trip is not recommended for any person with a history of knee problems, high blood pressure, cardiac and pulmonary problems, for pregnant women and for anybody who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights!
- The trip is not recommended for children!
- Drink plenty of water (you can refill your bottle from springs inside the gorge)
- Go slow in the first 2km of the walk & avoid stopping for a rest just below high cliffs
- Avoid resting for more than 15 minutes (especially if you are not used to this sort of walk) because your muscles will start to stiffen up and you will find it pretty hard to get going again
- Whilst in the village of Samaria take a quiet walk around it, you will probably catch a glimpse of the kri‐kri’s. The young ones get used to seeing people every day and are not that shy
- Always look where you are heading. When you want to look around, make sure you don’t block the path and then look
- Half way down the gorge lies the old village of Samaria. The village of Samaria has a telephone for communication with the police, a pharmacy, and two mules to transport injured persons
- In our office, Aretousas 38 street, Heraklion, Crete
- Directly upon booking from our webiste with your debit/credit card
- Payment link sent by us with your debit/credit card easily and safely
Payment of reservations up to one day before the tour.
Upon reservation you will receive from us in a separate e-mail your voucher with specific pick-up information (please check your spam folder as well). Please be aware that you will have to bring the voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us from Monday to Friday 09:00 am to 20:00 pm and Saturday from 09:00 am to 15:00 pm.
Book now through our website or contact us for more information at 0030 2810 335227 or send us a mail at email@example.com
Why to choose this package!
- Hike the 2nd Longest Gorge in Europe (16km)
- Excellent for Hiking lovers
- See the famous endangered Cretan Goat ''Kri-Kri''
- Swim in the refreshing cool waters of Agia Roumeli at the exit of the Gorge