Hiking at Imbros Gorge
Available every Monday!
The gorge of Imbros is the second most popular gorge for walkers in Crete after the gorge of Samaria. The village of Imbros is a charming mountain village, the starting point of the gorge. It is much easier to walk than Samaria: walking distance is 8 km, total descent is around 600m and the average walking time is about 2.5 hours. The path is generally easier underfoot.
This is the sort of walk that you could easily walk with children. It also would not need to take a whole long day.The gorge is fairly narrow (under 2 meters wide at one point!) and has plenty of trees you will have shade most of the time. The gorge is much smaller in height as well as length and less majestic than Samaria but this also means that at all times you are right next to the slopes and cliffs and has a much better opportunity to see plants and flowers at close range.
And there are plenty of interesting flowers to see, especially in the spring. After around 90 minutes walk from the gorge entrance booth (2 hours if you walk really slowly) you will pass an impressive stone arch on your right. After this the gorge widens a little and after around 15 more minutes you get to the road and the village of Komitades where you’ll find quite a few tavernas. The village Komitades is at the end of the gorge and the meeting point for the bus to pick you up.
11:00 Stop in Skaleta for breakfast & WC
12:00 Arrival at the gorge of Imbros
14:00 Departure for Sfakia
18:30 Departure by bus back to the hotels, small stop in between
✅ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Amoudara, Malia, Hersonissos, Anissaras, Analipsi, Gouves, Kokkini Hani is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point. In case you don’t know the closest pickup point, please contact us)
✅ Transport by air-conditioned coach
✅ Hiking Escort
❌ Entrance fee to the Gorge ( 2.50€ per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
❌ Personal expenses
Remember to bring‼️ Sun Cream, Sunglasses and Hat, Long-Sleeved Shirt for Sensitive skin, Good hiking shoes, Bottle of water and Light Snacks (fruits etc.), Swim Suit and a Beach Towel.
Children from 4 till 12 years old, 50% discount on tour rate
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
⚠️ Important Notes
- The following are prohibited inside the gorge: radios, singing, excessive noise, disposal of rubbish in places other than those provided, smoking anywhere other than the rest points, consumption of alcohol.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
Covid – 19 measures applicable for Season 2021:
- Mandatory use of face covering before boarding on bus. Failure to abide by this measure is subject to fines by local authorities.
Upon reservation, our partners will contact you in order to receive your Voucher which includes your pick-up point and time info. Please be aware that you will have to bring the Voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us.
Hiking at Imbros Gorge
Why to choose this package!
- Hike at the 2nd Largest Gorge in Crete (9km)
- Very nice for Hikers, even beginners!
- Swim in the Refreshing Cool Waters of Southern Cretan Villages in the end