Every Thursday from April till October
Duration 11 hours approximately / Starting time 08:30 am – Ending time 18:15 pm
Imbros Gorge is located in province Sfakia and is the second largest gorge in Crete, following Samaria Gorge. The picturesque scenery and its wilderness in combination with the low difficulty make the descent of Imbros ideal for families with children. The walking length of the gorge is 9 km and the course lasts about 2.5 hours. You can walk to the gorge all year round and it is definitely worth seeing. During your descent you will meet various famous locations such as the “Airplane”, “Stenada”, “Mesofarango” and “Xepitira Arch”. Imbros gorge was the escape route for thousands of allied troops retreating from the north of the island. During the period of the battle of Crete in 1941 the troops headed for Chora Sfakion to be collected by ships.
Points of Interest, Chora Sfakion
From Imbros Village you will start hiking until “Komitades” village. You will meet traces of the old stone paved trail that was once the main passage from Sfakia to Chania. After approximately 1 hour of walk into the gorge, you will reach the narrowest point of the gorge. The walls of the gorge are less than 2 meters apart and tower 300 m. above. At the end of the gorge you will reach “Komitades” village, where the bus will take you to Chora Sfakion. Chora Sfakion is the capital of the remote and mountainous region of Sfakia. The untamed landscape is combined with the quiet.
Charming seaside settlement. The sandy beach with the crystal clear blue waters is suitable for relaxation after hiking. A few coffee shops and taverns are located within and around the villages. In its northern neighbourhood, you will find the ruins of the venetian “Fortress of Sfakia” or “Castel di Sfacia or Sfachia” where you can get a panoramic view of Sfakia and admire the wilderness of the nature.
08:30 – 09:20: Pick up
10:20: Arrival at Imbros gorge – free time for coffee and/or breakfast
10:40: Beginning of the hike
13:30: Hike ends at Komitades Village (depending on how fast you walk). Departure for Sfakia (also called Chora Sfakion)
14:15: Arrival at Sfakia where you can swim or enjoy a meal at the local taverns
16:15: Departure from Sfakia
17:30-18:15: Arrival at your Hotel
✅ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Kolimbari, Tavronitis, Maleme, Gerani, Platanias, Agia Marina, Stalos, Kalamaki, Agioi Apostoloi, Chania Town, Halepa, Kalyves is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point. In case you don’t know the closest pickup point , please contact us).
✅ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✅ Hiking Escort
✅ Full liability Insurance
❌ Food & Drinks
❌ Personal expenses
❌ Entrance fee to the Gorge ( 2.50 euro per adult) – Paid on the spot in cash
Remember to bring ‼️ Sun Cream, Sunglasses and Hat, Long-Sleeved Shirt for Sensitive skin, Good hiking shoes, Bottle of water and Light Snacks (fruits etc.), Swim Suit and a Beach Towel.
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
- The tour is not recommended for young children
- Pick-up from Kalyves area requires a minimum number of 4 adults with an extra charge of 6,00€ per person.
- The following are prohibited inside the gorge: radios, singing, excessive noise, disposal of rubbish in places other than those provided, smoking anywhere other than the rest points, consumption of alcohol.
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler.
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
Upon reservation, our partners will contact you in order to receive your Voucher which includes your pick-up point and time info. Please be aware that you will have to bring the Voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us.
Book now through our website or contact us for more information at +30 2810 335227 or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why to choose this package!
- Hike at the 2nd Largest Gorge in Crete (9km)
- Very nice for Hikers, even beginners!
- Swim in the Refreshing Cool Waters of Southern Cretan Villages in the end