Gramvousa – Balos tour Departure from Chania
June, October: every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
July, August, September: daily
Duration 11 hours
Caves & Amazing Nature
Departing from the port of Kissamos and while sailing, you will admire a huge cave, that is believed to have been the ancient shipyard of “Tarsanas”. At the end of the Gulf you will notice an impressive geological phenomenon where, as a result of the passage of time, the western part of the island is rising, while the eastern part is sinking. This phenomenon was mainly created by catastrophic earthquakes that took place in 66 BC and 365 BC. According to scientific estimates, this geographical phenomenon still continues today, but at a much slower rate.
Gramvousa Pirate Island & Balos Lagoon
After approximately 1 hour, the boat arrives at the port of Gramvousa. The island’s eminent castle was built by the Venetians in 1579 at the highest point of the island, on top of a steep rock at a height of 137m. It is surrounded by a wall of 272m. It has a rough triangular shape and each side is 1km in length. Gramvousa castle played an important role in the history of the region. The panoramic view, its majesty and the legend of the pirate’s hidden treasure, will tempt you to visit it. The walk takes approximately 20 minutes.
TIP!! You should first visit the Castle in Gramvousa and then swim in the cool water…!
Following the 2 hour visit to Gramvousa, the boat will depart for the lagoon of Balos, a journey of approximately 15 minutes. As there is no harbour at the lagoon, the boat will either drop anchor in the cove of Gramvousa (Tigani), about 200m from the beach, at a depth of approximately 4m, where disembarkation will take place from large boats, or approach the beach where disembarkation can take place directly onto the beach. Your stay at the lagoon, where you can enjoy a fantastic swim, will last for about three hours.
08:00-09:20: Pick up from Chania area
10:00: Arrival at the port of Kissamos
10:20: Departure for Gramvousa island
11:30: Arrival at Gramvousa
13:30: Departure from Gramvousa
13:45: Arrival at Balos
16:30: Departure from Balos
17:45: Arrival at the port of Kissamos
18:30-19:30: Arrival at your Hotel
✔️ Hotel pick-up and drop-off (Pick up mainly from hotels at Kolimbari, Tavronitis, Maleme, Gerani, Platanias, Agia Marina, Stalos, Kalamaki, Agioi Apostoloi, Halepa, Chania is provided. If pick up from your hotel is not possible you will be picked up from the closest pick up point. In case you don’t know the closest pickup point, please contact us)
✔️ Transport by air-conditioned luxury bus
✔️ Cruise Boat tickets
✔️ Pre-Recorded instructions on board
✔️ Full liability Insurance
✖️ Food – Drinks – Personal expenses
✖️ Municipality fee (1.00€ per person) – Paid on the spot in cash
Remember to bring‼️ Sun Cream (a lot!), Sunglasses and Hat, Long-Sleeved Shirt for Sensitive skin, Swim Suit and Beach Towel, Shoes for hiking to the Gramvousa Castle!
Children up to 2 years old, free of charge on tour rate and travelling on parents’ lap
Children from 3 to 12 years old, 50% discount on tour rate
⛔ Cancellation Policy
For cancellations up to 2 days prior to departure date, no cancellation fees
For cancellations 1 day prior to departure date, 100% cancellation fees
Non-Show, 100% cancellation fees
⚠️ Important Notes
- Pick-up from Kalyves area requires a minimum number of 4 adults with an extra charge of 6.00€ per person
- Rubbish disposal apart from the designated areas is strictly prohibited
- The travel agency reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour due to adverse weather conditions or insufficient passengers number or force majeure 12 hours prior to departure time with a notification to the traveler
- Please arrive on time to the given pick-up point. Unfortunately, there is no option to wait for latecomers. In case of delay, missed pick-up, missed departure time, no refunds.
Covid – 19 measures applicable for Season 2021:
- Mandatory use of face covering and pre-boarding health declaration questionnaire is required, filled by all the participants. Please download it here and have it filled before boarding on bus. Failure to abide by this measure is subject to fines by local authorities.
Upon reservation, our partners will contact you in order to receive your Voucher which includes your pick-up point and time info. Please be aware that you will have to bring the Voucher with you during the trip.
For any further clarification, please feel free to contact us.
Gramvousa – Balos tour Departure from Chania
Why to choose this package!
- 8th Best Beach in Europe (TripAdvisor)
- Walk in the Romantic Lagoon of Balos
- Swim in the Refreshing Cool Waters of Balos & Gramvousa Beach (2 Swim Stops!)
- Explore the Pirate Castle of Gramvousa